Also know as ‘Creating a Tolerant Society: A Prolegomena For a Syllabus’ this research was developed by a leading academician in Islamic sciences, Professor Mohamad Nasrin Nasir, to develop Islamic education to deal with the specific problems of the rise sectarianism. You can download the report here.
Looking at some of the overt and unintentional outcomes of current religious education, both is schools and madrasas in inter alia, Pakistan, Nasrin Nasir posits the following Aims and Scope of the Guideline:
• To identify the importance of education and in instilling ideas that seek to eradicate sectarianism.
• A reconceptualization and a rethinking of education that is inclusive for all the different mazhabs present in Pakistan.
• Producing a short syllabus which will be a collective effort with input from all the different schools in Islam.
• The aim of this guideline is to set out the main principles guiding the whole project. We will not attempt to dictate the minutiae of the proposed syllabus, for we believe the syllabus or the content of that education has to be locally produced because education is something that is dynamic and must be able to cater to the needs of the community.
• Some recommendations will be made at the end of the paper.